RE: Compressor Surge Definition

To: "'DrMayf'" <drmayf@teknett.com>,
Subject: RE: Compressor Surge Definition
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:24:11 -0500
Mayf;

Yes, that's the point-- no need to open a wastegate either to to a pre-set
opening by a controller or use it as a pressure blow-off valve at a fixed
boost pressure. By using the "DC" output of a pressure transducer, the boost
can be monitored and the wastegate opened to limit the boost if desired
(like an electronically-controlled pop-off valve) but if the "AC" output is
filtered properly (gotta get a TI DSP chip in here somewhere :^) ), a
controller could blow off just enough boost so that the flow drops to a
surge level well below the point of damage. This way only enough boost is
passed out through the wastegate to avoid damage. Compressor surge is
powerful enough to break things, so I'm sure it would be detectable.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ