Full-Race Briggs & Stratton Article in August Hot Rod

To: bk185@lafn.org (marco), bjgayle@aol.com, eddotson606@hotmail.com,
Subject: Full-Race Briggs & Stratton Article in August Hot Rod
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:00:36 -0400 (EDT)
Hi folks, wanted to invite your attention to the subject article, much
technical interest.  50 bhp from 34 cubes of B & S lawnmower-based
engine on straight methanol, with lubrication provided by the
traditional dipper on the conrod.  Still a Flathead(sidevalve) too.
These little demons are used for Jr. Dragster and other kinds of racing.

Interesting to compare this with the fully developed KR Harley-Davidson
45 cube dirt track Flathead twin of yore, alleged to give 55-60
horsepower on gas.  We know methanol ups the power about 10% over the
same engine on gas.

The usual full-race Bonneville gas Flathead Ford V8(talking all unblown
engines here, of course) of 296 cubes may be claimed by the owner to
make 200 horse or so, but if made by Kenny Kloth, it apparently does
quite a bit better.  I'm told that Kenny follows the old Harley practice
to a large extent.  I wish we could see a full technical article on his
engines sometime, but I suspect he doesn't want to reveal all his
secrets.  Bill