Re: Spark plugs -and spark

To: saltracer@awwwsome.com
Subject: Re: Spark plugs -and spark
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:33:38 +0000
Yes!   I was thinking along those same lines Tom.      A voltmeter !

I think I will try it on my variour vehicles this weekend and see if I can
learn anything & establish a 'baseline'

If I do I will be sure to share it with our fine circle of rocket, (and
backyard) scientists!  Now Mayf I'm not pickin' onya... I' funnin' witcha
:-)

               thanks again Tom.        No get back to work on that racer!
See you soon....

Cheers & signin' off,  -it's,"Dirt Track Doug"

From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>

Doug,

There is a tool used for checking output on coils. It is basically an
adjustable air gap with one side is connected to the coil/spark plug wire
and the other to ground. The gap is opened up until the spark no longer
makes the jump. Of course, if you have an oscilloscope, the open circuit
voltage can be measured. Although I have never tried it, I would think that
the voltage could also be measured with a A/C voltmeter.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC

Doug Anderson wrote:
>Hello Tom,  & List,

speaking of spark plugs ,.....   Is there any -practical- way of measuring
the output of a plug wire (or coil wire )  -at say cranking speed,  to help
evaluate it's 'ability" or strength ????