RE: welders

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: welders
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 03:46:41 -0500
Keith:
good info.  Thanks.
Russ, #1226B

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-land-speed@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-land-speed@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Keith Turk
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2003 4:53 AM
To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: welders

I've been building this tank for the radiator to hang out in and with last
weeks post about welders.... thought I'd mention how it's going....

I've got two welders.... a SP 100 Lincoln Mig and a 175 square wave Tig....
the tig is capable of doing Stick welding.... which I know NOTHING of.... (
See Mr Van Scoy....he's an artist with a Stick welder...Why... Who knows..
ask
Ed )

I actually tried to set up my Mig to weld Aluminum this week.... your
supposed
to use a .045 liner with a .060 tip and .035 aluminum wire.... it works
great
for about 6" but after that the whole thing went to poo poo.... then I
decided
to run the Tig to tack the box together and take it to someone to
professionally weld it....  Shoot... I got to welding the brackets that hold
the radiator in the box and things were going so well that once I got the
tacks done I just kept going.... so now I'm about to finish the project this
morning....

Joe Timney and I had a long chat about gases... I'd been trying Helium to
weld
the aluminum and the flame was just to hot...  if I did it correctly there
would have been a Helium / Argon mix... which wasn't available locally...
that
might have made it better... but as it stands I went back to straight
Argon.... the box is built out of 5052 and I'm welding it with 5356 rod....
(
don't have a clue if that's what I'm supposed to do but the welds Hold water
and Look wonderful.... so it can't be To bad...)

Anyway bottom line.... if your out shopping for a welder... stick with one
company and buy your stuff from the local welding supply if possible.... if
you get stuck or want to check prices.... the Lincoln dealer in Louisville
Ky
is awesome and he also carries Miller .... I've got some killer deals from
this fella...

Just a couple of thoughts as I'm going along.....

Keith