top speed calculation

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: top speed calculation
From: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:46:18 -0600
Hi
This has probably been discussed some where in the past, so forgive me if
this is a repeat.
If one knows (or thinks they know) the Coefficient of drag, frontal area,
and Rear wheel horsepower, for a particular vehicle, is it possible to
calculate a theoretical top speed?
I realize that this assumes some things that don't exist, such as perfect
gearing selection, 100% traction, no mechanical friction losses, ect.
But it would be interesting and perhaps useful to be able to compare this
theoretical speed with the empirical data.

Dan Wright

It's amazing what you can do if you don't know it can't be done.