El Mirage

To: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: El Mirage
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:15:56 -0700
We took the Tom Thumb Special to the Lake Bed for another pass to get
Barry accustomed to the dirt. In May he ran 122 MPH on his rookie run.
He got a little out of shape at the top end of second gear and got
spooked so the speed was down.

On his first run on Sunday, he ran 191.439 MPH, a good clean run, but a
bit rich. Since we were able to take a second run, we leaned it to see
if we could improve on the speed. It didn't work out for Barry. He put
in gear too soon and just about had to abort, but it did finally begin
to run after about a quarter of mile blubbering. He ran 187+ on that pass.

It was a successful trip for us, however. He feels very comfortable in
the car on the dirt now.

See you all at Bonneville, but I won't be there until Monday AM. I have
a seminar that I have to attend in Dallas Friday afternoon through
Sunday PM.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC