Re: How to deal with it all?

To: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: How to deal with it all?
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 04:55:25 -0400
The cost of high bandwidth telemetry is coming down.. Just think about it for a
minute. 30% of the car is dedicated to keeping the driver safe. The driver is
generally the most problematic part of the car. They are generally the largest
part of the car in special construction. You have to make a bunch of aero
concessions for 'visibility and comfort' whatever that is. They do make
airplanes that don't need pilots... With a few servo motors a good GPS and
inertial navigation why do you need one? The data acq stuff i work with can do
track mapping within inches and has the technology to potentially run servos.
The only thing left that one might say the driver is good for might be to avoid
rough sections of the track, but i say that is what forward looking radar is
for.. I am sure there is technology out that can detect surface problems on the
track in time to correct for them.. I don't ever remember seeing a rule that the
car has to have a driver. I would expect a well trained chimp could drive an LSR
car.
Here is a typical run

Apply pedal on right
when light comes on move this lever..(shift)
at last maker shut off engine and pull chute
when humans come close to the car jabber incessantly and wave arms with big
toothy grin..
see what driver.. LOL..
Dave