MPS Clarification

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: MPS Clarification
From: "Jim Belford" <jimbelford@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:21:52 -0600
I am preparing my bike for WOS and Finals and am still a little unsure about
the MPS requirements.

Could someone, preferably an inspector, give me a clarification on the
following rule:

"There must be no streamlining other than a seat or tail section to the rear
of a line drawn vertically through the axle of the rear wheel,(refer to
Article 2-S General Requirements) and the rim must be clearly visible for
the 180 degrees of its circumference to the rear of such a line. If a
streamlined seat or tail section is used, it cannot extend further to the
rear than a vertical line at the rear edge of the rear tire."

Given that the following is the last sentence in the paragraph:

" An exception will be given to a motorcycle that is otherwise legal as a
production frame with modifications allowed only to the engine (carbs,
pipes, etc)."

Does pipes refer to exhaust (forward and mid) pipes as well as the can? If
it does not include the can can I run without one?

Is anyone aware of aftermarket tail sections that are shortened to comply
with the rule?

Thanks.

Jim