Wed, Aug 20 three

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wed, Aug 20 three
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:43:20 -0600
some other impressions/comments;

They have moved the course to the next lane over.  I have heard several
racers comment since day one that it is a rather slick course.  Makes me
hope for some solidifying of the surface between now and World of Speed on
the 19th of September.  A month is about right to get the crystalline
strcture re-formed where necessary.  Had several racers tell me they need to
get their entries in for World of Speed who have not already signed up.  We
should have a bigger meet that in the past.

Rick Vesco was in the Burkdoll pit.  He says he finally has Don's place
cleaned out.  Lots of things that probably will end up in various museums.
Jinx says their house near Zion's National Park is coming along nicely but
Rick's 40 by 60 garage is FULL.  Not thinking about what he will do with the
Turbinator just yet.

Sports Car racing legend John Fitch was running the Mercedes 300SL coupe and
signing autographs for his fans.

Katie Young Cortez was in line, ready to drive,  when we chatted.  Carmen
had stayed up WAY too late the night before and was back in their room with
her dad.  Katie's dad says grandkids are the reward you get for not killing
your own when they're teenagers.

The Red Flame is still serving tasty food.  Hard to do when you are dealing
with that many burgers, chicken breasts, steaks and such.  The only food
complaint I've heard this week is about the lack of lettuce on the condiment
table.  I'm sure that lady isn't a race fan judging from the way she was
dressed and her lack of attention to the cars on the course.

There will probably be tee shirts left over after this event.  Ron
Christensen was pushing them on the radio ... something that has never
happened before in my memory.  Doubt that it was the economy, most likely
they doubled their order in the popular sizes.  Usually they are out of
shirts by the second or third day.

Russ Meeks was walking down the short course ready line.  He sounded very
happy to be out of the hospital and back on the salt.  Hope his recovery
goes well.  Pretty good ... heart attack to back on the salt in three days.

The forecast is for possible rain on Friday in that area.  Hope it doesn't
happen.  Picking up wire in standing brine isn't fun.  There hasn't even
been the usual puddle at the end of the access road this meet.  The winds
have been frisk but not so much that they caused much  of a loss of course
time.  A good meet!

Wes