Tired timer, red hats and fast people

To: glen barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>,
Subject: Tired timer, red hats and fast people
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:56:18 -0600
This comment from our tired timer reminded me that I did hear about
motorcycle streamliners going down a couple of times.  I was listening to
Ron Christensen and really didn't get the whole story.  The fact that those
vehicles are rather effective lifting bodies when they get sideways isn't
lost on the old Bonneville racers.  Perhaps it's better that they be sleds
than get air and then go down.

Glen ran a very smooth meet from his timing palace.  He commented that the
air conditioning wasn't working that well but I noticed he didn't leave very
often.  We were headed out to see him on Wednesday but then the Ohio State
electric streamliner arrived at the starting line and BYU engineering
professor Tom Erekson, my ride, wanted to visit with their instructor.  By
the time they ran we had to get out of there to get him home.  He had towed
the BYU electric car to Ohio for two races this year and both were rained
out.  Wednesday's 175 miles one way were a breeze after driving for three
days straight getting home from Ohio.  I'll bet he slept most of the day
Thursday.

I don't envy Glen trying to clean his truck.  I've been under mine twice and
need to get under again to see what I missed.  That rain and wind is a nasty
combination for getting salt into connections.  Now if we can just avoid
weather problems for Dick J. at World of Speed we'll all be happy.

I got so wrapped up in giving Keith a bad time that I forgot the less
obtrusive list members.  Nancy Wennenberg popped a good run on Jon's bike on
Wednesday ... in the 180's as I remember.  Jon was as proud as could be as
he watched her launch.  It was a pleasure watching the two of them around
the starting line.  They have their procedure down pat.  The bodywork on his
bike really seems to work well for aerodynamics.  Jon is really happy about
that red hat with good reason.  He will be welcomed back with open arms by
the SCTA/BNI for all of his help before the meet started and, I'm guessing,
his help with clean up.

With all the red hats on the list I guess we'll have to learn to give proper
respect to that elite group ... except for Keith that is.

Happy cleaning guys and gals.

Wes

Joe, Wes & list
I won't be quiet for long, didn't get home until 5:30 pm Saturday night and
a little pooped. Great meet.
Wes, did you notice it was the two wheel guys two years in a row that
thought they were riding sleds. More on this later, got to finish cleaning
my truck.
Glen