B-Ville Report

To: Landspeed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: B-Ville Report
From: Katie Young Cortez <drylakercr@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:36:04 -0700
All I can say through this embarrassed smirk is...the course looks a lot
different while going around, and around, and around, and around whether
that is at about 70 mph and right before the first mile or at about 219 mph
just after the 5 mile marker.

Never in all my runs in the coupe or even my previous 8 runs in the roadster
had I ever even really come close to going 'round--but now I am hoping these
two trips are my last two such "learning experiences," as Al Sanderson told
me to call them after he presented me with a Spin Out club pin and sticker.

Oh, and you ask what I learned from these experiences? Well...
1. It is embarrassing to spin out once, let alone twice in one Speed Week!
2. It can be a real costly mistake. (Yes, the higher speed spin bent a tie
rod and practically broke an axle in two)
3. Never floor it with that much power on wet salt---hence, the reason for
my first spin.
4. Always when shutting down make sure you are completely out of gear before
letting out the clutch--the cause of the second spin.

Other than all that, I really did have a fun time at the salt--I gained my
best speed when going straight down the course: 222 mph. Also, it was cool
meeting more folks from the list in person at the bend in the road
gathering. Lastly, it was soooo cool seeing our baby "Garmen" have a
fabulous time crawling around the pits and watching cars/bikes take off from
the starting line--the louder the motor the better for her!

Take care all!

:-) Katie Young Cortez (New, and very humiliated/humbled, member to the
infamous Spin Out club--whether they don't have a hat)