Big Red Truck back home - 1 of 2

To: Land-Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Big Red Truck back home - 1 of 2
From: Jim Webb <jimwebb@nutsracing.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:47:21 -0500
List,

First of all - big-time congrats to KT for hammering the record on the way
to the 2 club, Russ for the hard-earned record, and JD for achieving his 2
club dream. All of you guys deserve all the accolades you are getting
because every competitor on the salt knows what it takes to get there.

Another thing that can never be said often enough is "Thanks" to all the
SCTA-BNI folks that make this event possible. Every trip I make out there
impresses me by the amount of hard work that goes into planning, executing,
and (especially this time) cleaning up afterwards. Thanks again to all.

As for our efforts this year with the Big Red Truck, we had a short week.
For the first time ever, we arrived Thursday afternoon and were in line for
tech early Friday. Our tech inspection went smoothly and we were ready to
line up Saturday afternoon. Our first pass on Saturday was made with pretty
strong crosswinds, and running the Goodyear LSR tires on the back, the truck
got into a very strange and uncomfortable wiggle in the butt around the 3 @
~180. I eased off and coasted off the course. Looking over the valve train,
we discovered and fixed a loose keeper - talk about dodging a bullet!

We mounted the fat Z-rated tires on the rear (still legal) and got back in
line Sunday. After waiting a long time in line as they cleared all the
spinners, we finally made a pass. The truck drove very straight with no
handling problems, but since I had shifted into 5th too early, it wasn't
going to pull much more than the recorded 184 after the 4 so I shut it down.
At least on that pass I tested the Stroud chute which worked very well. I
believe several cars spun after my run, but the Pirelli's felt just as solid
as ever.

more...

Jim Webb
jimwebb@nutsracing.com