FW: Heard from Sparky

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Heard from Sparky
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:26:03 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Russel Mack [mailto:rtmack@concentric.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 9:51 AM
To: ardunbill@webtv.net
Subject: RE: Heard from Sparky

Bill H., Glenn, Gary, Joe--

thanks for the kudos on my first Bonneville record.  It feels good--
especially coming from guys like you.

Sparky has done a good job of explaining to the List the nice END of our
SpeedWeek.

The BEGINNING was just a lot of hard work, as I had not finished my prep by
the time we got to the Salt.  Thanks to Sparky and to new crewmember Roger
Popejoy for 4 long days of very hard work to get us to the point where we
could compete.  Above and beyond the call of duty, guys.

The most fun thing about this achievement is that we went head-to-head with
two well built-up superbikes chasing an 11 year-old record-- and we grabbed
the victory with a $600 "junk" ebay (stock) engine that had been replaced
under warranty.  No build-up, no dyno time.  I never even had time to open
the valve cover, until we got to post-race inspection!

There was a "thread" a month or so back about not coming to the race without
being fully prepared.  I think that is an excellent goal-- but only
CONSISTENTLY achievable if you have unlimited time to work on your "ride",
or lots of money to pay somebody else to work on it-- or both.

I'm here to tell ya that Bonneville can still be WAY-fun, even if you come
without good preparation.

Bring a good pit crew.

Russ, #1226B

p.s.-- thanks, Skip, for the Problend for my engine.  Even with the "banzai"
2-wt oil I used on my record runs, those (scuffed?) pistons didn't sieze!