rearsteer

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: rearsteer
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:55:53 -0500
part of the problem I am having when discussing rws is basically I am
talking through my respective hat , I know this, I got an idea, seems like
it might work, but somebody out there has tried it, and says its' harder
than it looks, and in rereading some of my missives, it probably seems like
I'm saying "gee it can't be that hard", which when I think about it, might
sound like I'm saying any instability was caused by the driver or the
designer.  and I don't mean to imply that. if I went to the trouble and
expense to build a rws car I'd want to be damn sure I tried everything
within the basic design to make it work, and I'm damn sure somebody did
just that. I just think this is a viable >concept< at least, so far I have
not heard of an argument that convinces me of any folly. while not
disregarding the actual attempts, and because I'm busy with the bike, and a
little on the car, and am thinking about SpeedWeek, which I missed this
year, and it's kinda slow here at work, so I'm just bench racing about rws.
but when I ask for specifics, all I am told is it can't be done, the rules
say so and as there are little actual facts to evaluate, I just chew on the
idea and see if anything new is out there.....if I put my foot in it and
pissed somebody off, pardon me

           John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
            Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                  Bonneville Salt Flats
           H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                  144.396 MPH set 2000
       MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                     95.193 MPH set 2001
                 Antarctic Ice Driller Oct02-Jan03