Seat fitting and Foam

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seat fitting and Foam
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:01:47 -0500
The deal is that I've never really been happy with any seat arrangement I've
had.... they all fit... but to get different folks in the car's it's always
meant that my seat had to be a bit to big for my skinny butt...... Tonya on
the other hand has a very nice butt... but it's Very tiny...  she's not a
midget thou..... ( one must be 4' 11" or less to qualify for that distinction
)  In any case.... Ted Wenz and Dave both have been telling me to pour a foam
seat....   I just never knew how to go about it.... well guess what.... I do
now and I really want to share what I learned...

True choice Motorsports sells a two part foam that comes in quart cans....
Part A and Part B.... I went to the store and bought a picnic starter kit....
meaning 12 16 ounce cups and a set of cheap silverware.... to mix all this up
in....  Set two cups out on a table I'd covered with garbage can bags and
simply poured a little bit in each and stirred it up.... Tonya was sitting in
the car on a trash bag set on top of a 2x6 board...  I simply poured the well
mixed liquid foam into the bag and she sat down.... The foam grew around that
cute little butt and a bit around her back.... she was in her drivers suit but
she still got plenty warm as this stuff cooked off....

In any case next we took the board out and re-poured it again to fill in that
space and several more areas that were short...  the process took us about 6
pours to build the seat all the way around her but when we were done the thing
is a perfect seat that puts her in the exact right position to drive the car
and gives her a Hard... not soft foam seat that is form fit ....  I'm supposed
to cover this thing with Duct Tape.... but I'm sure she's going to want to put
material on it.... ( woman... what can I say )

I don't have the catalog for True choice, but the product I used is from
Iresons ( sp ) and is a stocking item at around 35 bucks which should make 3
seat bottoms... or one really big seat...

This has been a staple in the Indy car world for years and should provide all
of us an added measure of safety....

Keith ( www.truechoice.com )