Diesel Lakester Class

To: "LSR submissions" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Diesel Lakester Class
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 23:22:24 -0700
(snip...) Excellent points and made me wonder what would happen if you used
diesel fuel(138K BTU/gal.) as the secondary fuel with nitrous oxide in a
motor. Bryan Savage

Interesting, Brian. The diesel will lower the octane of the primary fuel
(after all it is designed to detonate from the heat of combustion, i.e. very
low octane). So regardless of the primary fuel you will most likely have to
LOWER the mechanical compression ratio to less than optimum for the primary
fuel. Even though N2O is an octane enhancer (not chemically, but
environmentally since it adds unburnable N2 and cools the charge) I doubt it
would substantially enhance the negative effect the diesel has on octane. In
addition, even though the diesel has a great BTU value and the O2 part of
the N2O will help combust the diesel the excess N2 (and resulting cooler
burn) might offset the advantage of the high BTU value.  So forget the N2O
and just inject LOX with the diesel!!  :-)   -Elon