RE: Easier to read guages?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Easier to read guages?
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:33:01 -0500
Lance;

Well, there might be more to Yeager's comment about digital
"instrumentation" than it appears. I'm not sure if he meant "guages" when he
said "instrumentation"-- it isn't necessarily the same thing. A digital
system can have an analog readout (guages) or a digital display. To further
split hairs, a digital display can be either numeric-- an alphanumeric
display of numbers such as "7854 RPM"-- or a graphic display such as an LCD
panel that looks exactly like an analog guage with a "pointer" that swings
around.

Some aircraft instruments are difficult to read correctly-- some altimeters
and some airspeed indicators have multiple pointers or pointers that go
around more than once. It seems like some of these instruments virtually beg
to be misread under the best of circumstances. Under stress, a pilot can
easily misread it with a tragic outcome. Why the FAA ever allowed some of
those instruments to be used is beyond me.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ