QUESTION about LSR Studebaker with Buggy Spring Beam Front Axle

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: QUESTION about LSR Studebaker with Buggy Spring Beam Front Axle
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:27:29 -0700 (PDT)
I've polled the list, and based on a lot of first-hand experience, I've
gathered together all of the pieces to convert the East Texas Studebaker's
front suspension over to early Ford beam front axle, hung on a transverse buggy
spring.  (Will be using late GM disc brakes.)

In order to get the ten to twelve degrees of negative caster that I want,
should I mount the center spring perch raked at a 12 degree angle, or should I
mount the spring perch square to the frame and gain the caster by "torquing the
spring" when I push the rear of the split wishbone down to the mounting
position which would yield the twelve degrees of caster?

Dick J in East Texas