Re: non lsr Worlds Oldest Dragstrip(Dust Devils)

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: non lsr Worlds Oldest Dragstrip(Dust Devils)
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:09:42 -0800
Doug,

No snow here on the valley floor either, we woke up this morning to our
first heavy frost of the season. Fortunately, it has now warmed up to 43
degrees and the sun is shining, so all is well.

I didn't get started in drag racing until 1955, and that was at Santa
Ana in my family 1950 Olds four-door sedan. It was fast enough and
produced adequate excitement to get me hooked.

I had always heard that Santa Ana was the first Official Drag Strip in
the USA. I have heard other stories on this network since, however. I
guess it is similar to having the fastest car...if you choose your own
definition you can be it!

I went on a search for Santa Ana Drags and came up with a couple of
interesting sites that confirm my first belief. The first is about C.J.
Hart and Creighton Hunter who organized the Santa Ana Drags and the
second is about Don Tuttle who was the announcer and amateur
photographer at the Santa Ana Drags. I knew Creighton, but it was C.J.
and Don that became my good friends. Don passed from this life recently.
I have the videos shown on his web site and recommend them to all as
early drag racing history.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC