Re: World Highway Land Speed Record

To: bennevl <bennevl@netzero.net>,
Subject: Re: World Highway Land Speed Record
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:50:02 -0700
There's some 20 mile straights in Nevada so there's a good chance he can do
it.  They clock the racers in a speed trap during the Silver State Classic
and like events with a radar gun.  Overall time is computer timed so that's
accurate ... Ed Van Scoy turned something like a 150.6 on a 150 target speed
and finished sixth in his class.  Not bad for running alone in the car ...
most have a navigator.

We were gate watchers several years and Rich Fox came up and did it a couple
of times.  We bagged it because it is so unprofessional in the way the
medical help is dispensed over the 90 miles and the course security leaves
something to be desired.  The highway is entirely fenced over the distance
with gates that are secured with flimsy chains and cheap locks.  One year
some fisherman got through a gate and was putting along on the closed
highway with race traffic coming toward him at over 150 mph.

Wes