Re: World Highway Land Speed Record

To: bennevl <bennevl@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: World Highway Land Speed Record
From: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:26:28 -0700
Bill;

Well, now you are getting into my old ballpark (so to speak)
Notice this record is "Highway" land speed record. We are
talking Open Road racing here. This "record" was started
several years
ago by Roger Ward, and is now continued by Mike Borders ( MKM
Racing Productions) They put on 4 races a year, one of them
being the Bonneville 100, usually in June. It starts on Hwy
93A outside
Wendover and goes over White Horse Pass, then, you turn around
and do it again. Here is a quote from their website describing
the event " We invite you to participate in our newest event,
the Bonneville 100 Open Road Race. . This event is run on
Highway 93A out of Wendover, NV, home of the famous Bonneville
Salt Flats, and is the first of our two exciting "two-way"
events this year. This beautifully maintained and very fast
highway runs southwest out of Wendover for 50 miles. On the
first leg, racers will climb almost 2000 feet in altitude;
then, after a short turnaround, the racers head back towards
Wendover, racing full throttle downhill! If you are racing as
a team, you can each take a turn at the wheel, as driver
changes are allowed at the turnaround. Straightaway speeds on
this road are expected to exceed 220 MPH for the super-fast
Unlimited cars!"     They also have a 200 MPH Club.. All you have
to do is get clocked at 200+ thru the traps (with a radar
gun), so there is no "Official" sanction here. Their 200 Club
is at http://www.openroadracing.com/html/200_mph_club.html
When they first started doig this, they were billing this as a
"Land Speed Record" and I jumped all over them. They were'nt
even aware of SCTA/BNI (and prolly didn't care about FIA), but
anyway, they changed it to "Public Highway Land Speed Record".
 I suppose this is where Turner is gonna try. If you come to
the salt from from California, you know how long and steep
that hill is! (especially when you are towing home) I could go
on, but that is the short history.............
Ed