Welding problem

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Welding problem
From: LGMCAFEE@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:14:17 EST
This might be of interest to some people that are tig welding. My son was
welding some holes on an aluminum boat and he ran out of argon. The next day he
started with a new bottle and started having problems with the puddle turning
black. We checked everything on the machine and it was set up correct. We tried
a new rod samething,tried it out on a scrap piece of aluminum same thing. I
looked at the bottle and it said argon on it. I live next door and we took the
scrap plate and rod to my shop and it welded perfect. He then went back and
brought his bottle over and that was the problem, it was contaminated with some
other gas. He took it back got a new bottle and everything was back to normal.
That was the first time in my 35+ years of welding I had run into that,so if
everything seems normal and you are still having problems you may want to
check the gas.
Larry Mac