Re: Tires

To: "Ed Van Scoy" <ed@vetteracing.com>, "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tires
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 05:33:16 -0600
Dick... ...  here's the deal,  Those tires are not rated to do what your
going to do.  Sure the SCTA will allow you to run them because they are more
then adequate to run on a light car. ( less then say 2500lbs )

I've run a set of those my first year and they worked fine sorta... but they
had a ton of side wall flex when the car got loose.. the only way to
eleviate the side wall flex is to increase the tire pressure to 80-90lbs...
and then it's a maybe... but the recommended max pressure rating on them is
lower then that.

The LSR tire that Goodyear sales is about twice as heavy as that front
runner ... and yep they are made in what appears to be the exact same
mold... when you get your hands on a set of these drag tires you will see
what I mean... they are just flimsy...

I've seen two tire failures with both of these kinds of tires... one on John
Becketts with a Drag front runner and Earl Wooden's Crosley with the LSR
tire....  additionally I have a set of Earl's LSR tires here... and they are
heat damaged from wheel spin...  this was a set he got 3 pass's on before
they were swapped for a new set.  In other words there are no garuntee's to
any of this... but starting out with better equipment up front just makes
sense in my honest humble opinion.

Keith ( the drag front runners are NOT worth a damn at Maxton by the way...
destroyed them in three runs with a street motor )