earthquake

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: earthquake
From: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:45:58 -0800
Yesterday morning about 11:15 the shop started to make funny noises. I
looked around decided to walk outside. We are about 60 miles south of
the center of the quake. This quake was one of those long rolling type,
it lasted over 20 seconds. Now my shop is 70' long and 30' deep. It has
3 15' wide doors in front. All the doors were open. I when out front and
watched with total amazement as the shop would raise up about 2 feet and
then when back down. Inside the shop is the 26' streamliner on rolling
type jack stands, the 99 corvette on jack stands, a 69 camero on jack
stands and a 70 mustang up on the 4 post hoist.  The mustang was really
swinging  around on the hoist but stayed upright. The only thing that
broke was one picture in the office fell off the wall. Now the funny
thing is that the dogs 1 gal water bucket was about 3/4 full when it
started and only about 1 inch of water in it after the quake, but it
never fell over or moved. Some brick buildings in Paso Robles did fall
and kill 2 people. All in all we were very lucky around here.
Doug Odom in shaky big ditch