Governing Body & More Stirring

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Governing Body & More Stirring
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 15:27:43 -0500
JB, ChrisH & List

I have no official status in the FIA, apart from being a licence holder
recognised by them.  I did meet the new UK representative for the FIA
Records Commission this weekend when in the Lake District.  I may be able
to give a better view when he has been in the post a while, but it would
not be from a standpoint of my having 'authority' to make changes.

I cannot see the FIA handing over their role in Land Speed Record Attempts
to any other body.  Although the FIA organisation has sold the commercial
rights to various of 'their' International Championships to individuals and
organisations to promote them.

Most of the complaints raised in this group have been about their (whoever
it may be who is given the job in FIA Paris) inability to produce an
accurate website list or 'keep the speed lists straight'.  With LAN's
assistance this could be improved.  As the FIA does not organise the
attempt, it is up to race teams and the ASN of the Country concerned to
promote this form of land speed record setting.

The processing of the FIA Stewards report & the vehicle entrants claims for
any records will no doubt remain the same (International committees cannot
convene that often), perhaps until the new blood gets information
electronically and they can then have "virtual" meetings.  Appendix D
Chapter III tells us how the current system works.

What I still do not understand is how the body that is the ASN (National
Sporting Authority) in the USA is operating on behalf of the FIA and
therefore helping US racers wanting to break International FIA Speeds.  I
understand that the organisation is still  ACCUS.   (Or whether or not they
(ACCUS) delegate administrative powers to someone or somebody else?)

I know the UK system within the FIA works - is there some of the problem
closer to home JB?

I do not know the New Zealand LSR scene so cannot comment Chris on what
happens on the other side of the World, but I have read that Rosco
McGlashan and Bub Manning went to Lake Gairdner to try to set FIA and FIM
World Records in nearby Australia.

Lake Gaidners meeting run by the DLRA operates to SCTA rules of course
normally but Bub was there running FIM a few years ago.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England