Re: Propster

To: "Skip Higginbotham" <saltrat@pro-blend.com>,
Subject: Re: Propster
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (Pork Pie)
Date: 16 Jan 2004 23:02 GMT
Skip,

my point - what I liked to say was that you need a lot of power to go over 400
mph - wheel power is in other words much more effective.

The Red Baron is using normally a Griffon (Rolls-Royce) 57/74 which is good for
around 3500 hp - when the engine is running well - 4500 hp? If the team around
Rice/Schmued/Horkey/Law pressed this power really out than they are the kings.
The other Rolls Royce (Packard) Merlin V-1650 is under normal condition good
for 3600 hp or may be 3800 hp - but also for a well running Merlin is 4500 a
lot - the highest output I know was 4250 hp for a Merlin for about 30 seconds.
Shelton's Rare Bear engine - the old faithfull Wright R 3350 was good for
around 4200 hp may be 4300 hp - that's what Shelton told me 97 when I meet him
at the Reno Air Race - sitting in into the Rare Bear was a real great fun - and
this was the output during his record speed from (850.263 km/h) 528,3289 mph in
1989 and for his air races up to 1991 - in 91 he won the race with a record
speed of 481,618 mph. After this win he went into some engine trouble and
reduced the power (a little bit).

As Shelton said, we have to talk about the power you can hold during the race,
not a
10 second pushing the envelope power.

See ya

Pork Pie