Re: plug & play

To: <docb8532@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: plug & play
From: "Jonathan Amo" <jonamo@landracing.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:55:40 -0700
Well starting in 2005 all scan tools will be outdated because of new
function of CAN function. It is new information made to the aftermarket
which until now has been only available to factory dealers.
All the scanners out however will do just about anything you need it to do
up until the 2005 year. and actually most shops wont see these cars until
2008 after the warranty period ends.
I personally use the Snap-on MT2500, Mastertech, and a computer based
scanner called VAG for Volkswagen and Audi. they all have done all the
functions I have ever needed powertrain, GEM module functions, Trans
functions.
Tech II is nice but there has not been a vehicle out there I was not able to
diagnose with the scanners I currently use.
IF you do however decide on getting a new scanner make sure is has
bi-directional control. Also the ability for PCM reprogramming. The new
snapon MODIS will have this feature added to it also the new CAN and more
MODE 6 information.

That is some info for you. Now the tech I and Tech II are two very different
tools. Tech I you have basically the ability to look at information and
maybe some control over some switches and relays. Tech II you have more
information available plus the ability to command most components on the
vehicle with vehicle off and key on. I don't believe Tech I can read OBD II
vehicles which has been the standard since 1996 for all manufactures. Some
fords had them in 1994. I think the mass storage cartridge either does two
things stores more wide range of years or has the ability for record
information like going on a test drive, you are able to arm the movie record
the data as you drive and view it when you get back to the shop. Helps with
those pesky problems which only show up on a test drive and not in a bay.

Jonathan