Re: Petersen & Nethercutt Museums

To: jolylance@earthlink.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Petersen & Nethercutt Museums
From: Want1937hd@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:03:54 EST
In a message dated 2/20/04 1:37:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jolylance@earthlink.net writes:

> Since found out that only 42 Bugatti Atlantic coupes were made in the 1930s
> and only two(?) still exist--they had aluminum or magnesium bodies riveted
> together, very low, incredible car. If I had a time machine, I'd beam myself
> back to old Ettore Bugatti's shop just to watch those guys work.
>
> Lance

Lance, Thank you for the tour report. I still hope to get to see the
Nethercutt collection some day. My guess is that the Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic
Coupe
is the Dr. Peter Williamson car that is on loan, unless it was sold after
winning Pebble Beach this year. Not to be picky, but all Type 57's were two
valve
one intake, one exhaust. Back in the early 1970's Dr. Williamson set a World
Record when he won that car at auction for $69,900.00. A reporter asked what
kind of a doctor he was, and he replied "A damn good one!" I worked at the shop
that took delivery of that car and maintained it, got to drive it once. Those
were good days. Bob in connecticut