Re: Non LSR ... colonoscopy plea again ...

To: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Non LSR ... colonoscopy plea again ...
From: Jon Wennerberg <jonw@up.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:54:00 -0500
On Thursday, February 19, 2004, at 04:41 PM, W S Potter wrote:

> For those who have been putting off getting on a 5 year rotation for a
> colon
> cancer check up.
> Wes Potter

My annual physical a couple of months ago checked for prostate cancer
(the usual PSA test) and all went well.  The doc decided I could wait
'til next fall for the colonoscopy -- I had a sigmoidoscopy a few years
ago and all was well then, although someday -- when I've got time to
type a lot or when we're together in person -- then I'll tell you about
the remote controlled electronic fart-noise maker that I took with me
to that procedure.  It was a blast, if you'll pardon the expression...

But a few weeks ago I saw an ad in our local paper that the cancer
center here was going to participate in a national trial for vitamin E
and selenium diet supplements to see if they help reduce the incidence
of prostate cancer, and I signed up.  I got a free PSA screen, and will
spend the next nine years or so taking either E & selenium, neither, or
one and a placebo for the other.  No, the test won't necessarily help
me avoid the cancer, but it'll maybe help (if the stuff works and I, by
the luck of the draw, am the one out of four that gets the
supplements), but it ought to increase the general knowledge about
whether the stuff works.

And just in case the daily vitamins we take now have either of these --
they give you (and your spouse, if you want) a perpetual supply of E &
selenium-free vitamins.  Wal-Mart pharmacy won't get our vitamin
business for years and years!

All in the memory of those of us that have succumbed to prostate cancer
'cause of sloth, fear, or ignorance -- let's all try to keep healthy to
race again for years to come.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan