Re: So Cal Lakester - wheels & 'tyres'

To: Auburn Design Group <foxriverkid@earthlink.net>, <ardunbill@webtv.net>,
Subject: Re: So Cal Lakester - wheels & 'tyres'
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:23:25 -0700
It is a very cool look.  As it was explained to me, the 3 piece wheels are
notched and the clear red urethane plastic is made with raised bumps to fit
into the notches.  Sort of a Gilmer Belt with much wider spacing between the
teeth.  See http://www.landracing.com/phpPhotoAlbum/show.php?id=439 for a
view of the spacing on the grooves on the front wheels.
The suspension is softer to allow for the lack of give in the tire area.
There has been some testing on the arrangement but nothing like it will get
when they run this later this year.  The SoCal Speed Shop is lengthening the
wheelbase by ten inches to improve stability before they run it.  There's
some serious GM involvement with the car.  That said,  I'd be very surprised
if there isn't lots of testing going on right now to determine if the
"wheel/tire" arrangement is going to allow the 300 MPH target speed.  There
was lots of interest in the lakester at SEMA where it was in a corner of the
GM display.  Pete Chapouris was in another room with their version on the
new truck so those answering the questions depended on the "Hero Cards" for
answers.  Seems like it was on purpose to keep from having to be too exact
on answers

Wes