Re: So Cal Lakester - wheels & 'tyres'

To: "Malcolm Pittwood" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: So Cal Lakester - wheels & 'tyres'
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:39:25 -0500
Very interesting topic, especially since we don't have any good M/T tyres
which we can buy now.

Bruce Crower ran an interesting wheel/tire combo back in 199? on his
streamliner. Basically a Gilmer belt (tire) on a billet sprocket (wheel).
Rings on the sides kept the belt on and centrifugal force actually throw the
belt forward and created a little bit more contact surface and theoretically
better grip. I believe the car ran a 350 MPH pass and never heard that there
was any "tyre" problems.

Anybody have additional info on this wheel/tire set-up?

JB