RE: Dyno Race

To: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: RE: Dyno Race
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:17:02 -0800 (PST)
Dave,
It's not a joke.  that's where the red line was!  That's where the factory put
it! and that's where it stayed when the bike was put into race trim. And yes,
that is a narrow band, and the RD 350 was known as the peakiest two stroke.
Even harder than the Kawasaki triples to race.

Have you ever ridden an rd350?  Go ahead and see if you can scare up a factory
bulletin for competition modification.  They included a template for making new
ports in the jugs.  The stock RD 350 was 22.2 HP at 7000 stock.  Redline was
7300 but it fell so flat at 7300 that you didn't really have to worry about red
line - - you damn well knew when you hit it.  Make the modifications in the
bulletin and HP is raised to 48, but the red line didn't move, and all low end
power was lost.  You had about a seven humdred useable band on that bike.  Good
racersw used 300!  The factory modification bulletin claimed that if the mods
were done by the book, it would result in within 2 hp of the world champion
Yamaha factory road racers. I had the modification done at Yamaha of Fort
Walton in Florida.  After it was done I consistently ran low 6s and an
occasional high 5 in the 1/8th mile beating virtually all of the superbikes of
the day (Kawa 1000 and Suzuki GS 1100) at the local north Florida and
 southern Alabama drag strips.  I hope you can find a copy of that factory
bulletin.  Tell a story enough times and if you're telling the truth, it stays
the same.  Find that factory bulletin!
Dick J

Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net> wrote:
Not for nothing dick that is the most far fetched story i have heard from
you to date...
This is a joke right?
The peak RPM is a mile too low, the power band is way too narrow for the
peakiest 2 stroke.
I guess if you tell the same story over and over and add a little every time
this is where you get.
What was the year and exact model of the this Yamaha I work with factory
teams and bet i can scare up a dyno sheet for one. 7 hp give me a break.
maybe you rode it like the BSA and forgot there was another 3000 rpm to go
before you shifted..
Give me a break
Dave...