Sand blasting

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sand blasting
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 03:59:43 -0600
    thought I'd take a second and put this in the archives for S&G's...
besides I've been to quiet in the wake of way to much abuse... ( I just
consider the source and remember stuff like this back in second grade... and
equate mentality's... :O)

    The sand blasting deal has worked out real well.... if it was just paint
I'd have been done in a day....  with powder coat it just takes 5 times
longer...  I've tried heating it off.. and beating it off with sand... the
best way seems to be a wire wheel then just sitting there with Sand...

    What I've got is an East wood Pressure pot... and I'm very pleased with
the set up... over the years there have been several small Craftsman style
units in my life... this pressure pot just puts them to shame...  I've got a
fairly large 2 stage air compressor... somewhere around 12 cfm @100 psi...
Plugged in and flowing max air.... the compressor is off about 1/2 the
time.... so it's not taking as much air as I thought it would...

    For sand I went to lowes and bought 10 bags of play sand and put it into a
30 gallon bucket thru a screen which took the biggest particles out...( maybe
1% at most ).... and basically I just re-use what's on the drive when I run
out... and slip a new bag in once in a while....

The Pressure pot came with a cheesy hood and clear plastic face plate that
I've replaced about 5 times so far.... I just took some 1/8th inch plexiglas I
had laying around and made myself up about ten of the plates...that way i'm
always using a reasonably clear shield....

With a pair of cheap work gloves and a bar stool the whole process is almost
comfortable... just Time consuming.... and boring as hell...

Well.. that's about it...

What's up in your world?

Keith