Re: 4-7 firing order

To: saltracer@servusa.com, ddahlgren@snet.net, wmtsmith@landracing.com,
Subject: Re: 4-7 firing order
From: Flowbench@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:12:47 EST
I have been trying to understand this change for quite some time (around
'92). My first experience with it came when I was building Ford SCCA Tran-Am
engines. We used the 8.200 deck engine and the std. 302 firing order when we
bought
cams, we sometimes liked a cam profile that happened to use the 351 firing
order (just number the cylinders the same as a Chevrolet and you will see they
are the same). These engine ALWAYS had a better and broader average torque
reading and almost always more peak HP. At first I thought it was the way the
runners were laid out on a short deck Ford, Then I told a friend of mine who
worked in the engine program Joe Gibbs. He tried this change after talking to
Ron
Sperry at GM. Seems they had info from Reher & Morrison and the top teams in
all forms of motorsports seem to be running this firing order in there engines.
If you look in most major cam catalogs you will also not they are readily
available.
Mike