Race engine initial fire-up; oil and procedures

To: Chris Harris <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Subject: Race engine initial fire-up; oil and procedures
From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:26:54 -0800
Chris, let me see how badly I can complicate your simple question.

Most cam and ring manufactures strongly recommend NOT using synthetic
for the initial start. Roller cam = no problem. Flat tappet, contact the
cam maker. In addition to assembly lube for the lobes they may recommend
an EP additive for the oil.
Find out what the ring manufacture recommends.

This is what I've done:
I have used and will continue to use 5W-30 oil from Walmart.
Heat up to about 180-200 if you can because you want maximum
oil flow to everything as soon as possible. Fire the motor after
priming the hell out of the oil system. Hold it at 2,500 to 3,000,
you should have over 30 psi oil pressure almost instantly. If the
oil is hot, the oil pressure may seem low to you. Just remember,
10 psi per 1,000 rpm is safe.

OK List, what have I overlooked this time?

Bryan