Vapor Separator Tanks

To: "Land Speed Mail List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vapor Separator Tanks
From: "John L Staiger" <staiger3@starband.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 06:58:02 -0500
List,

Recently Terry Hunt wrote to the list in response to a NOS thread.  His
comments got me to thinking abut a similar problem I was contemplating and I
would like to get the informed opinions of the list.  Terry wrote: "... I've
been using two electric F.I. pumps the last few years to run in the gas
class. I'm now planning to run my old BG 400 fuel pump, located in the back
by the fuel tank. This pump will supply a Hilborn mechanical pump driven
from the dry sump pump... Terry Hunt"  This is roughly the same setup I
have, This got me to thinking. in order to run a mechanical and an electric
fuel pump at the same time (other than for starting purposes), one is
probably using a Vapor Separator Tank in the middle.  What is the ideal
construction of the tank?  Should it be build like a sump tank ...round with
baffling to separate the air? Or can it be square and just dump the fuel in
the top and pick up the engine fuel from the bottom?  Also, what size is
ideal?  1/2 gallon?  One gallon?

Thoughts please.

John L. Staiger

"...Murphy was an optimist..."