The Hemi Lives - - - What Friends Do

To: fosterap <fosterap@flash.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: The Hemi Lives - - - What Friends Do
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:41:16 -0700 (PDT)
Jerry is a little modest when he says he watched me fire up the hemi.
Actually, I did push the button, but it never would have fired without his
help, and a long day spent by WmT "Sparky" Smith, former Texan who dropped over
from Phoenix on Saturday and worked on the hemi all day and into the night with
me.

Even then, the hemi needed a little "delicate coaxing" from Jerry on Sunday
before it came to life.  But when it did, WOW!   What a feeling of
satisfaction.  I bought that motor almost four years ago, spent two and a half
years collecting parts and pieces for it, then spent over a year waiting on
eccentric "engine guys" and old machinists who wear blue denim shop coats to
finally get everything bolted together.  Trust me, finding the right parts and
putting together a  fifty year old motor is a bit of a challenge.  I mean, most
people don't even know that Sig Erson is still in the cam business, much less
that they will custom grind stuff for old hemis!

Thanks to my friends, my hemi now "talks to me" and I have a new-found
motivation to get the Stude up and racing.

Dick J in East Texas

fosterap <fosterap@flash.net> wrote:
I drove out to East Texas yesterday, and watched Dick J fire up the hemi for
the first time. Sounds pretty strong! The Stude body if off the frame.
I'm putting three photos on Jon's site now.
Jerry in Dallas