Re: Insurance

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Insurance
From: "Jon E. Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:53:29 -0400
On Wednesday, April 28, 2004, at 08:32 AM, Dave Dahlgren wrote:

> I can tell you that a client of mine had 4 cars hauled to Road Atlanta
> a few
> months ago and lost everything and they are still fighting for getting
> paid
> by the hauler.. The truck and trailer burned to the ground due to an
> electrical problem with the trailer lighting. it was a big enclosed
> rig with
> 4 GT1 cars and everything melted...
> So it might be a wise investment.. they were all worth around 125k
> each plus
> all the spares tools wheels etc.. not to mention all the setup notes
> and
> other data accumulated over 10 years went up with it.
> Dave

I've got my racebike insured with K&K Insurance (I think that's who it
is--I got the policy through my local agency).  I'm covered for damn
near anything as long as I'm not racing on the race course - that is,
theft, vandalism, incident while trailering to a race or shop, etc.
It's sort of a "comprehensive" policy -- if the trailer hitch breaks
and the rig goes yee-hah-ing off into a canyon, I get reimbursed.  $35k
coverage costs $1k/year, and as long as I don't wad the bike during a
race run I'm covered.  I expect that the experience Dave mentions WOULD
be covered with this insurance -- of course, check to make sure for
your own personal needs.

You get to specify how much coverage you want, then they come up with a
price.  Coverage is also available for the trailer, the tools (some
basic tool coverage is included in the package, but you can specify
additional), even stuff like the t-shirts that we sell at the track.

If you can't find it through your local folks contact me off-list for
details.

By the way, I found a company offering similar insurance (they
advertise in the SCTA rulebook) and asked them -- and ended up with the
same K&K that I have anyway.  Maybe you could start in the rulebook,
(which I still haven't received this year, but that's another story!).

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)