Re: Rivets

To: kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rivets
From: Want1937hd@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:10:01 EDT
In a message dated 05/11/2004 11:56:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kturk@ala.net writes:

> Just curious if anyone has a favorite source of rivets.... not pop
> rivets...
> but the one's you hammer in place..
>
> My buddy's building an airplane and I needed to reinforce an area of the
> cowl
> on the race car... so I borrowed some from him and all his tools that make
> this a Very cool deal... but his supply of rivets didn't include the length
> needed...
>
> Also just out of curiousity... anyone have the exact length they should
> stick
> out prior to hammering?

The one place to go for the old style rivets is Big Flats Rivet Co.
www.bigflatsrivet.com They specialize in vintage car rivets and all the tools
needed to
set them. Real nice folks that are two spots away from me at the Hershey Swap
Meet in October. I was told that a diameter and a half was the proper length
to have sticking out before you set it. Wear eye protection ang ear muffs. Bob
in connecticut