Re: Rivets

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, "LSR List"
Subject: Re: Rivets
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:52:50 -0400
Keith, I'm in the middle of riveting some access doors and supports in the
skin so have just gone thru the same thing.  Aircraft Spruce ( 1 877
4777823) has supplies in various diameters, and lengths.  Countersink tools
as well.  (Microstop) and of course rivet squeezers.  I think rule of thumb
is three diameters of rivet must stick thru the panels, to be deformed.  If
you are close enough to the edge of a panel, squeezers are better than
hammering.  Well probably easier.  I have not hammered.
Good luck.  There is nothing nicer than flush solid rivets, and yes, I'm
still practicing.
You need to call Spruce and get their catalog.  1/4 pound of rivets are
around 7 bucks.  (and its a bunch.)

Rick Byrnes