Re: Cage Survey - - One word reply OK

To: land-speed-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cage Survey - - One word reply OK
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:20:44 -0500
MIG, with some stick done in places I considered critical, like where the
main hoop attaches to the main rail. this on the car.
MIG on the BSA bike hardtail and seat support. As a side note, I was once a
certified MIG welder on non fired pressure vessels, and understand how to
weld with MIG, as it is possible to make a pretty MIG weld that doesn't
have much strength. That said, a good MIG weld is a good weld, (not to get
into an argument about best weld types and techniques here, but a pretty
TIG or stick weld can also be a poor weld if not done properly) Further
side note, working here at the UW  Mech Engr dept, I allowed the students
to do a structural analysis of the hardtail, non destructive of course,
using both calculations and strain measurements, seems the hardtail is 7
magnitudes stronger than needed....

           John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
            Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                  Bonneville Salt Flats
           H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                  144.396 MPH set 2000
       MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                     95.193 MPH set 2001
                 Antarctic Ice Driller Oct02-Jan03