El Mirage #7

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: El Mirage #7
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 06:34:45 -0700
Can someone give me some clues as to what the black #7 in Opie's pictures is?
It
is gorgeous!
***************************
That is the recreated Warth-Hilborn car as done by Jim Lattin and his group.
The official unveiling was held at Jim's museum a couple of weeks ago. Many
racers 'from the day' were on hand. Stu Hilborn at a spry 80 something was
able to jump right into the car for photos.

Although the prototype Hilborn injection was on hand for display(a closely
held icon carried by the Hilborn family in a special display case) the car
sports a 4 carb intake done by Jim Miller's dad. A photo of the intake can be
seen in the Dean Batchelor 'American Hot Rod" book. Jim built the manifold in
the manner his dad did, using the same tools, i.e. brazing instead of tig
welding.

As we all know the original car has disappeared, so Jim Lattin decided that he
had to build(recreate) this piece of hot rod history. Look for a story in an
upcoming Hop Up annual.

Dan