Mod Sports - part 1

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mod Sports - part 1
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:51:10 -0700
My reply to Keith's question may have been too long - here is part 1.

Subject: Mod Sports History

My question to the collected mass's is this.... does anybody know how the
rules have changed over the years.
************************
Without giving specific dates this how I remember the class
evolving/decomposing according to your stand on the issue.

Early years when sports cars were added the rules were pretty simple, the same
as the other classes of the era. As the racers went faster and looked for more
gains in speed different body modifications were tried, some successful, some
not so much so. Look in your history books, magazines for pictures of Ak
Miller's Devin and the evolment of the '57 Thunderbird of Carrol somebody from
Texas.

The class eventually got to the point where where there was a break into stock
sports cars and modifed sports cars. The modifieds were changing at such a
rate that we ended up with single seat vehicles such as Glenn Deeds, Nolan
White, Jack Lufkin, et all, that resembled no car ever built. At that point
the modified class was dropped and existing vehicles were reclassed as Gas
Streamliners.

Somewhere, late '70s early '80s?, Miler Mike Stewart proposed reviving the GT
and Mod Sports class and wrote some pretty constrictive rules. The basic rules
were the car had to be marketed as a sports car, seating for two adults, 500
examples produced, no one of a kind bodies, etc. The Modified class could have
limited production or aftermarket bodies such as the Devin, an engine
swap(think Hemi in a Corvette), removed street equipment, gasoline only.

As the years went on the loose rules were stretched, pushed, shoved and molded
into what we have today. In Mod Sports the body must be stock from the
firewall to the rear, all aero allowed Comp Coupes are allowed as is any
chassis and a wheelbase out ot 130" plus fuel classes.