The Texas Mile...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Texas Mile...
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 20:51:11 -0500
Tonya and I just got home from the Texas Mile ... what a hoot.. very different
from other LSR events... but that's not a bad thing... it's just
interesting.... they don't have a Radar gun anymore... and the timing
equipment is absolutely first rate Tag Hueler ( sp ) with lots of back ups.

Jay and Shannon Matus have put this deal together and have lots of experience
running events with thier NASA organization.   So the basic skills involved
are apparent in the smooth way everything was handled from sign in to shut
down...

The course itself is flawless... a non suspended car simply isn't going to
have any troubles and cars like my MS with it's limited turning radius have
lots of room to turn around .   The Shut down area is the only real
limitation...   it's Very short for those of us used to having Heavy cars and
small chutes...it's just over 1/2 mile... and as Calvin Smith and the Ruffin
boys can attest it's hard to stop a speeding car without a bigger then normal
parachute.... there is a run off area and it's level with no berms or anything
... but Very low cars aren't going to like the terrain.... it's scrubby and
simply rough.... I've recommeded they clear it a bit better and put some sand
in to help if someone has a problem in the future.... I'll cover a bit more in
part two here...

Keith