New LSR Book

To: "Land Speed Digest" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: New LSR Book
From: "cmpile" <hoxiepoo@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:19:50 -0500
    List -

    Just acquired the latest publication concerning landracing - it's the
German book "Weltrekordfahrzeuge", or "World Record Cars". It's pricey (off
eBay), and shipping from Merry Olde isn't cheap - but it arrived quickly and I
was very pleased with the stuff between the covers. I wish I could read
German, but I will have to content myself with the 700 or so b&w photos and a
few items in English.
    The extensive featuring of European cars is welcome, as I seldom see any
info about them. Many detailed shots are of unfinished projects, or cars that
never made the grade. Engineering drawings, and prototype models of
Autobahn-bound cars are also covered. Know we know how they built it, and what
might have been.
    Amerikaner iron wasn't passed over, as there are plenty of Bonneville
campaigners from throughout the years. Some photos I've never seen - such as
the many versions of a certain Monster from Akron. The info contained is also
up-to-date, as it was published in late 2003.
    The book finishes with detailed charts of cars and their record attempts,
and a real treat for collectors - lists of modelmakers with the cars and
scales they are produced in. There are also photos of the models for reference
- very handy!
    This book isn't for everyone, but for the lovers of landspeed machinery,
the drivers, and their history - it will find a comfortable spot on the
bookshelf.

    Chris Pile aka aircap