Tap's and Venting...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tap's and Venting...
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 06:51:53 -0500
Okay I'm at a point where it's better to be here then down in the shop working
on extracting the second 10-32 tap...that's broken off in the chassis...

I mic'd the drill bit... ( a new one )...  I oiled the tap... I took it
slow.... and the dang thing still broke.... TWICE

My Great Grandfather was a master machinist back in the day... he actually
helped machine internal parts for them new fangled Jet engines.... so he was
fairly good with his hands...  having passed on he left me all his tools.... I
often chat with him when I'm having a problem.... ya know how that goes..... "
okay Gramps... what the hell do we do here?" not that I expect an answer...
but I do think of how he'd do something.... ( needless to say I loved this guy
dearly... )   Soooooo the second time around I'm thinking... Okay Gramps....
SLOW SLOW SLOW.... no dang it SLower....   Yep worked like stink.... 1/8th of
a turn max ... back it up... slow down... oil it... keep it cool and
straight... and it runs out the other side.... so I'm backing it out and it
simply snapped in half... not that it left me anything to work with to get it
out or anything...

Time to put down the tools and go get a cup of Ice... for that new soda
pop.... and VENT....

Keith ( okay I feel better... guess I'll go try get it out or beat it in )(
Gramps couldn't pass up a drill bit, file, or Tap sale... so I have another 20
of these 10-32's....)