RE: Gray area's...( potentiometers )

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Gray area's...( potentiometers )
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 06:08:11 -0400
I think what we might learn from this is a body shape will want to fly at
some given speed. There are only 3 ways to fix it, add down force, add mass
or change the shape. I would think that changing the first two are the
safest but least productive as they increase the power required to go a
given speed. The last one to change the shape is the most efficient but the
scariest as you might change it for the worse if you do not have a full
understanding of what is happening and the aero knowledge to make smart
changes. Knowing the results from those changes in hard numbers will be
helpful.

Not being a pilot I can't say this is fact but I would think there are some
measurable changes in an airframe between being a high speed taxi and
flight. I do find it hard to believe that you instantly go from firmly on
the ground to airborne over a couple of miles per hour. I would equally
think that knowing a projected speed that a vehicle will take off and also
knowing a reasonable margin for a change in wind speed and direction would
set a maximum safe speed until a change is made. The problem is you have go
and explore the almost flying mode and identify it make some changes to
raise it and go find it again if you have the power to do that. I can
picture running 300 with 10 lbs of boost and being almost flying and then
making changes to add down force or mass and needing 15 lbs of boost to go
300 but not being in takeoff mode yet. Further if drag = V^3 then I would
have to assume that lift might work the same way so the faster you go the
closer the two modes get to each other. I am sure there are plenty of aero
people here that can either shoot these ideas down or add to them but I up
for having a better idea so fire away.

Dave