Re: Shaving motorcycle tires

To: <Want1937hd@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shaving motorcycle tires
From: "James Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:36:31 -0700
I have looked a lot of Indy tires from the past. The restorer more than
likely wanted to make the car look like it had run the tires so he took off
the tread to make them appear used like the car had finished the race on
them. The 40's & 50's tires were mounted with the "tread" line to the right
side of each tire. There were 2 or 3 lines starting about half way across
the tire. As the race went on the driver, or rider as some carried them,
would watch this tread and as it dissappeared they would come in for new
tires. In the 50's one of the places which would get a lot of these "used"
tires was the Inglewood Tire Service in North Inglewood Ca. They would sell
them to the lakes and Bonneville guys. I lived about 5 blocks from there
store and bought tires from them. With help of Jack Underwood, I have found
out how imprtant "true" tires are in our sport. I do my own "trueing" both
tires and wheels. You wouldn't believe how many never check a wheel before
they start. I have never done a M/C tire before but I can't see it being any
different than a car. After seeing what some "profesional" truers have done.
I'll stick to doing myself. I'll play with them until they are right on.
Good Luck J.D.