Re: Technology & Bonneville

To: ddahlgren@snet.net, jkamo@rushmore.com, gmc6power@earthlink.net,
Subject: Re: Technology & Bonneville
From: Flowbench@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:10:55 EDT
In a message dated 6/30/04 3:48:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ddahlgren@snet.net writes:

> What does it cost to freshen up a 700 hp LSR SBC?? Parts and labor.

$3450 for a standard race engine rebuild. That gets a teardown inspection
including lash check, leakdown, spring psi, & visual. Then we mag & dye
penatrent
check. Hone w/plates, freshen valve job, have lifters rebuilt, clean & asm.
Rings, bearings, valvesprings & gaskets are included. Broken or woreout parts
cost extra.

How often should you do it?

If you maintain your engine correctly, i.e., lash-spring check, drain water,
change oil, pickle engine each season & only running Bonneville (thats what
you mentioned) I could - should be able to run for 3-4 years @ 10 runs per
year,
that would be 200 miles or about 60 minutes racing time.

What would you guess it costs to have a car chassis that is capable of at
least 230 mph and up to 300

Well I can tell you that the MacDonald & Pitts firebird had a for sale sign
in it and like most used race cars it was a good deal. You couldn't build a car
like that for $15, 000.00
We got the tires, too. It all comes down to timing, right place right time.

I wish the data from Turks car would correlate to another but I suspect it
is all vehicle specific but whatever we learn I was planning on sharing.

I know it won't be the same as our car or a roadster but I would like to see
if you have a car with only 1.5" on suspension travel running on a rough
course one year and a good one the next if these readings can be used in enough
time to be helpful. In Seth's case he went from 304 one run to over 320 the
next.
How thin is the line? I'm sure you remember how much electronics were on the
IMSA & Group C cars and they blew over.

There is another way to look at. It takes a rich man
to put all their money on red and spin the roulette wheel. That is what you
are doing if you are not reasonably certain of what a car or engine is doing
at 250 mph and up..

I agree, it's always been this way when you've never been there before. I
reasonably sure of that.
I do hope this all this works out for the betterment of ALL racers, I'm just
pointing out were not there yet.
Mike