Re: chute loads v/s time

To: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: chute loads v/s time
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:14:25 -0700
List,

I posted a reply a few days ago saying that I didn't use the chute prior
to the 2003 finals when I was scolded for not using it. I just went back
to my data and put together some info of stopping distance with and
without the chute. I think it is interesting...

10/19/2002...exit @ 232.5 MPH - no chute, coming off in gear....
max. decel -0.3 Gs - speed down to 50 MPH @ 6.8 mile

08/20/2003...exit @ 243.641 MPH - no chute, coming off in neutral...
max. decel -0.2 Gs - down to 50 MPH @ 7.5 mile

10/15/2003...exit @ 241.991 MPH - chute, coming off in neutral...
max. decel -1.3 - down to 50 MPH @ 6 mile

10/17/2003...exit @ 243.162 MPH - chute, coming off in neutral...
max. decel -1.46 Gs - down to 50 MPH @ 6 mile

As I said in my previous post, I am usually off the course by the 7 mile
without the chute. Without the chute the car slows from 150 MPH to 50
MPH in 25 seconds.

By the way, my chute is attached above the rear axle at about 30 inches
above the ground level, that's 3 inches above the top of the rear tire.
I have had no negative handling problems when deploying the chute.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC